You know that you need to incorporate social media into the overall marketing strategy of your business. What you may have trouble keeping in mind is why social media is so important for your business. At the end of the day, what will you get from using social media marketing? Fortunately, it is a long list. Advertising and generating public awareness of your products or services is one of the primary areas where social media excels. But there is any number of other ways that social media can help you to promote and run your business. Here are just a few:
- Minimize overhead. Depending on your business model, you may be able to cut back on overhead costs by using social media. Many businesses are now based primarily online. These businesses are able to cut back or cut out the cost of office space and support staff, as employees or contractors can work from home and communicate with each other using social media platforms.
- Establish yourself as an expert in your field. This is especially important for professionals, consultants, and others who sell their services. These people really need to be able to demonstrate how knowledgeable and skilled they are and social media is the way to do that. Blog about interesting topics related to your business; provide video demonstrations; provide useful online content that educates your clients. All of these will demonstrate to potential clients that you are way ahead of your competition.
- Use social media as an opportunity to network. If networking is important to your business, then social media was made for you. It is a great way to meet new people over a greater geographical area than you would be able to manage by networking in person. Certain social media platforms, like Facebook and LinkedIn, are the logical places to start networking.
- Check out your competition using social media. It is easy enough to use social media to find out what your competition is (or isn’t) doing. Then make sure that your business does it better, faster or smarter.
- Campaign for a cause. Many businesses sponsor a charity or other cause. Social media can be a great way to garner support for your cause or awareness of a sponsored charity event. Your cause may also be something that is directly related to your product. For example, it may directly benefit your nutritional supplement business if you promote education about the health benefits of green-lipped mussel supplements.
The next time you find yourself thinking that you don’t have time to deal with social media, remember the many ways in which it can pay off.